2017 Entrance Exam Results
Candidates in the 2017 Fire recruit process - Please click the link below to access your score from the written exam.
This is an entry-level position for a uniformed firefighter in the Fire Bureau and is covered by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the City of Lancaster and the Lancaster Professional Firefighters Association Local 319.
Firefighting is specialized, technical work involving many different responsibilities. Firefighters are responsible for the safe and efficient operation of firefighting apparatus en route to and at the scene of a fire and for participating in firefighting activities. Although the operation of apparatus and participating in firefighting activities are the most difficult and responsible parts of the job, a large part of the time is spent in fire prevention. Some of the specialized assignments include: hazardous materials mitigation, emergency medical services and various levels of rescue ranging from confined space rescue to vehicle rescue.
City firefighters play a critical part in strategies to promote effective local public safety operations for the protection of residents, properties and institutions. The position requires reliable, responsible, dependable employees with a proven record of fulfilling obligations.
Applicant and Testing Requirements
As an applicant for a firefighter position with the City of Lancaster, there are several basic qualifications you must meet, as well as a number of steps in the pre-employment process that you must successfully complete in order to be considered. The required qualifications, documents, and exams are listed below.
- U.S. Citizenship
- Will be at least 18 years of age at the time of appointment to a firefighter position
- Have a High School diploma or the equivalent
- Possess a valid driver's license
- Successful completion of background examination
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English fluently.
- Aptitude for mechanical work.
- Ability and strength to do prolonged and arduous work under hazardous conditions.
- Ability to learn within a reasonable working test period.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Completion and submission of a City Employment Application.
- Completion and submission of the Firefighter Supplement.
- Submission of all additional required documentation as listed on the application.
- Submission of a $28.00 money order for the application fee.
- Successful completion of the written civil service examination.
- Successful completion of an oral board interview with an independent interview board.
- Successful completion of a physical agility examination.
- Successful completion of a criminal, employment, personal, drivers’ record and credit check, and physical, psychological and drug tests to the satisfaction of the City.
- At the time of employment, the firefighter must live within a 13-mile radius of Lancaster City center.
For questions about the firefighter position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.