Mayor George Sanderson formed the Lancaster City Police force in 1865. The first Chief of Police was Charles R. Frailey who oversaw 21 night policemen who were successful in restoring order.
The first lock up was located in the basement of the Fulton Hall, now known as the Fulton Opera House, and remained there from 1852 until 1868.
Today the Lancaster Bureau of Police is a full service police department providing service to the City of Lancaster and from 1970 to 2009, to Lancaster Township on a contractual basis. The Bureau is the largest and only urban law enforcement agency in Lancaster County, serving a population of 60,000 residents. Current manpower consists of approximately 145 sworn officers and 46 civilian employees.
For more information on the City of Lancaster’s Bureau of Police visit www.lancasterpolice.com.