Curb and Sidewalk Work
- One permit per location (address) is required for any curb and/or sidewalk work. The contractor performing work must be bonded with the City in order to obtain a permit or else the property owner may obtain the permit. Permits cost $20.00 per location. In addition, any curb work done on a state street requires a permit from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. All curb work will be done in accordance with PADOT specifications. For more information, specifications and permits, call (717) 299-7621.
- Bond forms along with city curb and sidewalk specifications are available at the Engineering Office at no charge or available to download here. Specifications
- For inspections, contact Randy Sload at 291-4764 at least 72 hours before the work is scheduled.
- You may come by Engineering within City Hall to pick up the Application or download the application here. Download Curb and Sidewalk Application
- A list of Contractors who have are bonded to do this work within the City can be downloaded here. Download Bonded Curb and Sidewalk Contractor List
- One permit is required per location. Permits are available at the Engineering Office and the contractor must be bonded with the city or download the application here. Download Street Opening Application
- Bond forms are available at the Engineering Office at no charge.
- A city representative will provide periodic inspections while the work is in progress.
- Permits cost $60.00 each for the first 4.99 square yards. Additional fees are charged for any trenches larger then 4.99 yards and for emergency excavations on streets that have been improved in the last five (5) calendar years. There is a five (5) year moratorium on all improved roadways, and additional degradation fees will apply to any approved permits and all permits on these roadways must be approved by the Director of Public Works. Street Opening permits may be denied on these streets until the moratorium expires, if an emergency does not exist.
- For inspections, contact Bill Metzger at 291-4764 at least 72 hours before the work is scheduled.
- A list of Contractors who have are bonded to do this work within the City can be downloaded here. Download Bonded Street Opening Contractor List
- One permit is required per location. Permits are available in the Engineering Office.
- Dumpster permits are required when obstructions are placed along a sidewalk or within a City street. If the obstruction will be between the curbs on a state street, a permit is required from PADOT in addition to the City.
- Permits are available at no charge and are typically valid for seven days.
- All dumpsters locations must be reviewed by the Engineering office prior to placement to ensure traffic, parking, and sight-line issues are considered. You should call Bill Metzger at 291-4764 for review 48 hours prior to attempting to pull a dumpster permit. The Engineering Office may need to coordinate with the Police and/or Fire Departments prior to issuing a permit at certain locations.
- To report traffic signal outages, hazardous situations, etc., please contact:
Dustin Hart, 291-4769
If a field technician is not available at this number, contact:
City Engineering Office - (717) 291-4764.
Between the hours of 5:00pm and 8:30am contact:
Bureau of Police - (717) 735-3300.
- To report downed or damaged traffic signs, please contact
Noel Kastor - (717) 291-4768
If a field technician is not available at this number, leave a message or contact:
City Engineering Office - (717) 291-4764.
- Applications are available in and shall be completed and submitted to the Engineering Office with a sketch attached. More information is available on the permit application or download the application here. Download Driveway Apron Application
- Applications are subject to the approval of the City Zoning Officer and the City Building Official.
- Applications are available at no cost. If the application is approved by the City Engineer, the permit cost is $30.00 per location.
Handicap Spaces, Loading Zones, Street Closings and Permit Parking
For information regarding handicap spaces, loading zones, street closings, etc., contact:
Tyresa Bailey - (717) 291-4730
Water Transmission and Distribution
- For water emergencies, call (717) 291-4816.
- Download the Specifications or receive a free copy by contacting:
Engineering representative - (717) 735-0341.
- For inspections of public water utilities and service laterals running from the main to the curb stop, call Bruce Hall at (717) 291-4764. For inspections from the curb stop to the house, contact Jim Godin in the Water Meter Bureau at (717) 291-4820.
- For Capacity Approvals (domestic and fire flow), contact Ben Perwien, Utility Engineer, in the Engineering Office. Submissions should include three (3) copies of the project information sheet, download capacity request form, a letter detailing your request, and utility layout plans. Submissions without this required information will be returned. All fields on the project information sheet must be filled out.
- For plan reviews of subdivisions and service lines, submit two (2) sets of
utility/layout plans with all applicable details (metering/backflow, taps, laterals, and hydrants) to Ben Perwien, Utility Engineer, in the Engineering Bureau. Submissions may be mailed to:
City of Lancaster, City Hall, Bureau of Engineering
Attn: Ben Perwien, Utility Engineer
120 North Duke Street
P.O. Box 1599
Lancaster, PA 17608-1599
Content Last Modified on 3/15/2013 9:27:46 AM