Just one year ago, the dog park at Buchanan Park was merely a simple, fenced off space along the eastern edge of the park where dogs were welcome to run and play. While some may argue that is all a dog needs, City resident Angela Bauman dreamed of something more – a canine amusement park for her German shorthaired pointer Beau and the many other local dogs that frequent the park. She entered her idea in the Beneful Dream Dog Park contest, and 10 months after winning the contest, Angela and Beau’s Dream Dog Park is finally open.
Earlier this month, Beneful’s Dream Team, made up of celebrity interior designer Nate Berkus, DIY Network star Jason Cameron and pet expert Arden Moore, unveiled the completed park. The sprawling hills, roller coaster bridges and fun water features have perfectly translated Angela’s fantasy into Lancaster’s new reality.
The new park has attracted many visitors, both old and new. Lancaster City loves its new Dream Dog Park!
Here’s a quick reminder of the rules:
1. All dogs must be inoculated and declared healthy by a veterinarian.
2. All dogs must be at least 16 weeks of age.
3. All dogs must be neutered/spayed.
4. Keep your dog leashed outside the dog park.
5. Dogs may not be left unattended in the dog park.
6. Aggressive behavior from dogs or people is NOT allowed.
7. Clean up after your dog and yourself.
8. Watch your dog. You are legally responsible for any damage done by your dog.
9. No unattended children may enter the dog park. Parents/guardians are solely responsible for their children while in the dog park.
10. Keep gates closed.
11. Skateboarding, bicycle riding, rollerblading and running is not allowed in the dog park.
12. Pinch (prong) or spike collars are NOT allowed in the dog park. Haltis, gentle leaders, and head collars should be removed for your dog’s safety.
13. Glass items are not allowed in the dog park.
14. Parking on Franklin & Marshall College property is not permitted between 7:00 am and 6:00 pm.
To report a violation of the dog park rules between 7:00 am and 3:30 pm Monday through Friday, please call the Parks Bureau at 717-291-4841. At other times, contact the police at 717-291-4911. For a true emergency, always call 911.
The park is free and open to the public. Please help everyone to enjoy the park by acting responsibly and respecting all dogs and their owners.
For more information, visit Beau’s Dream Dog Park on Facebook!